Monday, October 1, 2007

Martin Luther Feedback

I was talking to our Pastor at church tonight and we were discussing confirmation classes and I brought up the fact that...I personally feel that there may be a lack of understanding (within the congregation) as to why the Lutheran church exists. And of course with October 31st fast approaching (and I am not talking about Halloween) that this might be a good time to discuss Martin Luther and the Reformation (What a concept huh?) So I have done a LOT of reading on the subject (reformation and Marty) and thought that it would be a good idea to use this month as a time to discuss Marty and his life and how the denomination we call Lutheran came to exist. So I am hoping I get a lot of feedback from readers this month because I am now being asked to present to the confirmation class about Martin Luther. So I am going to start out the month with a bit of the knowledge I have about the guy and hopefully I will get some rousing conversation going or if you will, perhaps a little "Table Talk." So with my pint in hand here goes, I hope you all enjoy.


So my understanding; Marty was born Martin Luder on November 10, 1483. He later called himself "Luther" in Eisleben(Ice-Lee-Ben), Germany. His parents were Hans and Margarete. Hans picked up and moved the family in early 1484 to Mansfeld where Hans was a copper miner. Martin went to Latin school in Mansfeld until 1497 when he was sent to 'Brothers living together' school (a boarding school.) In 1498 he went to Eisenach to live with relatives and attended the parish school.
In 1501 Hans had the money to send Martin to the University in Erfurt to get his Baccalaureate, In those days you had to learn the 7 Liberal Arts before you could study a specific subject like Law, which his father had hoped Marty would learn. Now Martin was a quick study because in 1502 he received his Baccalaureate and then his Master's degree in 1505. At this point Martin began to study Law and his father was hopeful that his law studies would go as well so he could soon be a practicing lawyer.

So this was the "Wonder Years" for Martin. Some of the biographies I have read state that Martin was: "
a quiet, reserved yet talented student who was intimidated by the strict order." Others state that he was a student of average level who was often beaten at school as well as home. Never the less, Martin excelled in the university where he was introduced to modernism, and the "Humanist" movement. Though, not overtly influenced by the humanist movement. Modernism is another story I will get into later.

Ok, That's the nugget for today...Tomorrow I think we will discuss the infamous lightening storm. Thoughts? How am I doing so far? Anyone want to add to this?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A pretty good summary of Luther's early years. It is worth noting that his school days in Eisenach were spent in the shadow of the Wartburg castle. Also, there are contributing background factors to consider as well- depending on the depth of your talk. Things like the population decrease cause by the Plague, the printing press, and the recent memory of the fate of Jan Huss.

I'm looking forward to reading more of your summary.

Pastor Eric said...

Sounding good so far. I am looking forward to reading more.