Monday, September 17, 2007

In God we Trust?

I was at an on-going church meeting tonight in which we have been discussing the direction our congregation is going. Of course I should say that God is always in the center of our discussions but in particular tonight's discussion raised a point that struck a chord with me and I was moved to write about. For some reason or another it hit me harder tonight than most times and it made me look inside my heart. "we need to Trust in God." I began to question myself, do I put my trust in God? Do I put my trust in him? Do I trust him with everything in my life? or do I only trust him with the big things and think I can handle the little things? Do we all just trust God with the big things? When I did not trust in God how did those things turn out?

This is hard stuff!

I could give all the trust scenarios that I have found in the Bible like "The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him," Nahum 1:7 (I bet the people of Nineveh wished they had trusted in him) Or; But the LORD said to Moses and Aaron, "Because you did not trust in me enough to honor me as holy in the sight of the Israelites, you will not bring this community into the land I give them." Numbers 20:12. It is pretty obvious that there are consequences to not trusting the Lord. And you know it's not like he tells us enough in the Bible; Blessed is the man who makes the LORD his trust, Psalm 40:4. Or (and my favorite) "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me." John 14:1

So as I said in my profile I had an awakening almost a year ago that God does truly exist, he is REAL, and that I should trust in him. So I did what he said and I got my butt back in church, and the most amazing things have happened! I no longer spend 8 hours a night (16 on weekends) staring at my computer screen playing virtual games while life goes on around me (and without me!) In a matter of just 9 months I have made new friendships with people I would never have known. I have been active in church activities and bible study. I have met people at Lay theology classes and have learned about things I never thought I would know (or even care about). Believe me trust is/was a hard thing for a person like myself to do. You see I spent years trusting in my partner when I was a medic, I trusted my skills and my fellow firefighters inside of burning buildings, I could even trust my senses and my keen sense of instinct to know when it was time to pull out of a burning building. But trust in the UNSEEN? Trust in the promise of eternal life through him? MAN that is pretty hard! Or is it? Even when he made himself known to me I had a very hard time at first. I questioned why me? What is it you want with me? What did I do to deserve this kind of attention? I wasn't hurting, or in crisis. But trust came to me after about a week of trying to understand why I realized it was not my place to question, it was to do, so I have tried since then to give it all to God. I put my trust in him. I am not perfect so I don't always do so well but I feel I am getting better at it.

What do I get out of it?
Not only have I got new friends, but I have had a huge weight lifted from my body that I never realized was even there. My stress over little things has greatly subsided. I know longer hold things in and let them stew and and boil inside me like the devil would have it. I gained a new relationship with my family that I would have completely missed. I have spent time in conversation with people that I would have never thought of talking to. I have gained a relationship with GOD! You see I can talk to him now and tell him everything in my life. I can turn it all over to him and he leads me. I am his hands, and his feet, and his mouth, I now go where he sends me! It is HARD! It is very hard and at times I don't do so well. But in those times I need to step back and tell myself "Trust in the Lord." I will keep trying and I will continue to talk to him and he will help me trust. In God I trust. - Amen

1 comment:

thunderfrog said...

Good point on the video games thing. I'm glad you found this new outlook.

I'm so happy that God is willing to just let us back into the game. Praise him!